Plan-Do-Check-Act Cycle is a popular tool for implementing ideas or system in a controlled way. This tool is also known as PDCA Cycle , or Deming Cycle. ISO 9001:2008 QMS standard suggests applying PDCA methodology to all processes. When you want to do something, something you wanted to improve, or something wrong you wanted to fix, then PDCA methodology provides you a better solution to achieve your goal.
You should use PDCA methodology:
- when you wish to bring improvement or wish to start a project
- when you wish to develop a new design of process or product
- when you wish to implement any change in your process or product
The four phases in the Plan-Do-Check-Act Cycle involve:
* Plan - Indentifying and analyzing what to do - First you should identify and establish your objectives and processes necessary to deliver your desired results.
* Do - Implement the processes as planned.
* Check - Measuring how effective the implementation has been, and also analyzing whether there could be any improved way. You should measure processes and product.
* Act - Implementing the improved solutions you analyze during the Check
- Keshav Ram Singhal